Lead paint was commonly used in houses until the late 1950s. Even after that, people tended to keep it stored it in their basements because lead paint was the most durable paint you could get, as long as it was maintained.
The major concern with lead paint is that it can cause health problems for children. Lead dust tends to accumulate in places like the windowsills or on the floor, where children are often playing. It is easy for children to unknowingly ingest lead paint dust because they often put their fingers or their toys in their mouths, and those fingers or toys could have become contaminated with lead. Continue reading